You’ll agree with us when we say that giving your vehicle a new look is not always an easy and wallet-friendly task.
To take some of the workload off your hands, we have compiled a list of our favorite ten automotive paint guns for beginners.
In today’s post, we’ll look at user-friendly paint guns and help you make an informed decision about which product would be best for you.
Now that we have reviewed the best ones, let’s look into detailed reviews of the top 10 best automotive paints guns for beginners.
Best Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - Best 10 Reviews
1. Best Convertible Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO 2 Review
This is our team’s favorite paint sprayer. It is an entry-level system that provides professional results.
Not only does it include a non-bleed gun but it is also portable and easy to clean. The metal turbine case also has a handle for the spray gun which makes it portable.
In addition, this paint gun is also convertible. It can be converted from bottom feed to gravity feed and vice versa in an instant so that you can use it in whichever way you are comfortable with.
Features of Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO 2 – Best Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners
- 1400 watt 2-stage motor with 5 psi pressure
- M-Model non-bleed paint gun
- Includes 400 cc gravity and 1-quart bottom-feed aluminum pressurized cups
- Stainless steel nozzles, needles, and fluid passages
- Multiple air caps in six different sizes
- Comes with a fan pattern control that ranges from 1-inch circular to 12-inch oval pattern
- Assembles and disassembles easily
- Convenient to clean and easy maintenance
- Saves material thanks to low overspray
- Prone to clogging
This automotive paint gun is for you if you are willing to spend a little more money for a professional-grade finish. This versatile spray gun is fit for everyone, thanks to its dual nature.
2. Most User-Friendly Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - 3M Accuspray Paint Spray Gun System 16580 Review
This paint gun should be your go-to tool for any painting job. We love it because it is one tool for all of your painting needs. It is one of the best out there because of its four different nozzles.
This system mixes and filters your material for you, which not only spares you from all the hassle but also saves a lot of material. It cuts down cleaning time by 50%.
Another thing worth mentioning is its signature Paint Preparation System. It omits the chances of any inefficiency that may be caused during the mixing and filtering of materials. The material sprayed out is in fact strained from an in-built filter, which reduces material wastage.
Features of 3M Accuspray Paint Spray Gun System 16850
- HVLP paint sprayer with one-piece paint gun body
- Three atomizing heads available: 1.4 mm for stains and sealers, 1.8 mm for thick-bodied materials and 2.0 mm for heavy-duty materials
- Quick adjustment thanks to fan diameter, fluid control, and air pressure flow
- Fan diameter of maximum 12 inches
- Comes with 22 oz. cup, other size cups are also available
- Includes five disposable cup lids with filters (4 with 200-micron filter, 1 with 125-micron filter)
- Reduces waste of paint by using in-built filters
- Spray gun can work at any angle
- Clean up is a piece of cake
- Uses very less solvent
- May not be durable
- Cup capacity may not be enough
If you are someone who uses a wide variety of materials but hates the prep work, this paint gun is for you. It has in-built filters so you do not need to filter the paint.
3. Best Automotive Paint Gun with Professional Finish for Beginners - TCP Global 2.5 mm HVLP Review
This automotive paint gun offers great value for its price. It is easy to use, clean and offers easy maintenance.
This gun also supports thick materials without any leaks, which means it can definitely spray thinner materials without any problem.
It has a full baffle head which helps ensure that the spray pattern has a smooth and consistent finish.
Features of TCP Global 2.5 mm HVLP
- HVLP spray gun with an operating pressure of 29 to 51 psi
- Fully adjustable spray pattern, fluid control, and air pressure
- Includes stainless steel nozzle set and needle
- 1-liter aluminum paint cup
- Comes with 2.5 mm fluid tip and air regulator
- Pattern width of 5.9 inches to 7.1 inches
- No leaks
- Easy to use
- Hassle-free cleaning
- Simple to adjust desired settings
- The cap may be hard to remove
This paint gun is no less than perfect for beginners. If you need to spray thicker materials this spray gun is for you. It is not recommended for long term continuous use, but if you need it for a few tasks, this paint gun is good to go.
4. Best High-Power Automotive Paint Gun - REXBETI 700 Watts High Power Review
With its high power, it offers a superior finish. Not only this, we loved it because of its versatility. It comes with multiple nozzles to support all kinds of paints, from thick to thin.
In addition, the power cord is 6.6 ft in length, to offer free movement around the workplace. It is light and compact to not cause any fatigue.
It offers adjustable flow control that ensures you’ll be able to properly paint around precarious areas such as corners, edges, etc.
Features of REXBETI 700 Watt High Power
- HVLP paint gun with 500 watts motor
- Three spray patterns: Round, horizontal, vertical
- Includes three nozzles: 2.0 mm, 2.5 mm and 3.0 mm
- Offers adjustable flow for the desired output
- 1000 ml capacity of paint cup
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to use
- Hassle-free cleanup process
- Long power cord makes movement easy
- Versatile regarding the material and spray patterns
- Easy to assemble
- May consume a lot of electricity
This is for our eager users who want to get the job done quickly with ease and professional results. Moreover, if you are someone who uses various materials, this unit is for you as it can spray differently viscous materials.
5. Best Gravity Feed Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - Fuji Spray 5175G T75G Review
This paint gun is very popular among our team members.
This Fuji paint gun has a new improved design which is more user-friendly and ergonomic. The sleek body is well-balanced and allows easy movement.
In addition to this, it is lightweight and its stay-cool handle eliminates fatigue. The atomization of material with this paint gun is so precise that it results in a flawless finish.
Features of Fuji Spray 5175G – T75G
- HVLP non-bleed spray gun
- 1.33 mm air cap installed for high efficiency and less overspray
- The material cup has a capacity of 600 cc, other cups are also available
- Includes a viscosity cup
- Pattern control knob allows adjustable sizes of the fan pattern
- Ergonomic stay-cool nylon handle for easy maneuvering
- Less paint buildup at the tip, and less noisy
- Durable thanks to stainless steel parts
- More suitable for bigger jobs
- Nylon cup may not be as durable as other parts
If you are a perfectionist looking for exceptional results, this paint sprayer is for you. Not only this, but it is also ideal for users who want to spray their vehicles themselves. With easy and comfortable handling, it is perfect for DIY-ers.
6. Best All-Rounder Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - DeVilBliss Finishline 4 FLG 670 Review
This paint gun may not be the fanciest out there but it does satisfy its user’s needs. It is super easy to disassemble, clean and assemble again.
Our most favorite thing about this spray gun is that it is drip and leak-proof, the way it should be. In addition to this, it sprays a clear and fine mist so that you get the best results.
Features of DeVilBliss Finishline 4 FLG – 670
- Dimensions: 5.5 inches x 5.5 inches x 10 inches
- Uses HVLP technology to spray a fine mist
- Includes three tips: 1.8 mm, 1.5 mm, 1.3 mm to spray primer, base coat, and clear coat respectively with equal dexterity
- Works at 13 CFM at 23 psi
- Includes 900 cc aluminum paint cup
- Simple to maneuver
- Easy to clean
- Does not cause any streaks or drips
- Sprays all kinds of materials well
- Supports the use of disposable paint cups
- A carrying case is needed
- Does not come with a filter
This paint sprayer is for all kinds of different users. You can benefit from this if you are a beginner or an expert. The best thing is that it allows you to spray all kinds of material, may it be paint, primer, clear coat, etc.
7. Best Affordable Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - Campbell Hausfeld Paint Spray Gun Kit (CHK005CCAV) Review
This paint gun comes with its own accessories in helping you out with the paint job. This is in fact what we love the most about this model. The accessories make it easy for you to take upon a wide range of projects.
The included spray guns are of high-quality and therefore can be used extensively on larger projects as well.
These are extremely easy to operate even for newbies and can be connected to any compressor as long as it offers at least a pressure of 60 psi.
Features of Campbell Hausfeld Paint Spray Gun Kit (CHK005CCAV)
- Dimensions: 12.8 inches x 4.7 inches x 15.5 inches
- Low Volume Low Pressure (LVLP) gravity feed paint gun
- Includes two spray guns operating at 2.1 SCFM and 1.3 SCFM at 40 psi
- Comes with two adjusting valves
- Also includes 5 inline filters and 10 paint filters
- Can work with any regular compressor with at least 60 psi
- Versatile and therefore can tackle almost ant project
- Easy to use
- Super easy cleaning
- Requires a compressor but doesn’t come with one
- Carrying case may not be comfortable
This paint gun is for you regardless of your level of expertise. It can be equally used by a DIY-er and a professional. For users who tackle all kinds of projects, this paint gun should be your first choice as it comes with all the needed accessories.
8. Best Value-for-Money Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - Graco-Sharpe 288878 HVLP Review
After testing, we found this gun to be very effective, well-balanced and well-controlled. This means it is easy to handle the pattern you are spraying.
You can use it to spray onto almost every surface, may it be metal, solid or clear.
Moreover, we have found it to be extremely durable.
It is the perfect power tool for a frequent or professional user. Entry-level users can also benefit from it, however, it requires a little time to get hold of it initially but after some practice, it is a piece of cake.
Features of Graci-Sharpe 288878 HVLP
- Available with five different-sized nozzles
- Nozzle sizes are 1.0 mm, 1.3 mm, 1.4 mm, 1.5 mm and 1.8 mm
- Gravity feed HVLP spray gun
- Includes FX3000 gun
- Aluminum cup with a capacity of 600 cc
- Highly efficient and versatile
- Hassle-free cleaning
- Simple to handle
- Very durable
- Offers value for its price
- Beginners may find it a little difficult to use initially
This paint sprayer is especially for you if you are an impatient painter who demands the best quality and efficiency. However, this does not mean that it is no good for newbies. It may be a little hard initially but once you figure it out, you will love it.
9. Best Entry Level Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - Critter Spray Review
Our team strongly recommends this paint sprayer if you are just starting to use a paint gun. Not only is this perfect for freshies but it is also very affordable to help you perform one time jobs.
The best thing about this paint gun is that it uses mason jars as paint canisters. That means, if your painting job requires the use of multiple different paints, you can just change the mason jar instead of cleaning one out and using it over and over again. This causes less fatigue and is especially economical because mason jars are readily available and not very expensive.
Features of Critter Spray
- Compressor mounted metal siphon gun
- Includes a 16 oz. mason jar
- Operates at 3 CFM at 90 psi
- Uses a ¾ hp compressor
- Sprays 0.5-inch to 2.5-inch circular spray pattern
- Extremely easy to operate
- Uses easily available mason jars as paint cup to save from cleaning fatigue
- Very affordable
- Easy to clean
- Requires a compressor but does not include one
This paint gun is for our beginner friends who may not be frequent users. It is super easy to assemble and use. If you are someone who does not want to spend a lot of money on spray guns, we especially recommend this unit to you.
10. Best Handheld Automotive Paint Gun for Beginners - TCP Global Professional Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun Review
This automotive paint gun is one of the best pieces in the market. We love this unit because it produces promising outcomes and is one of the best you can get in this price range.
It is a professional HVLP gravity feed gun, which is equally loved by beginners. Its most important features are its stainless steel body components, that ensure its durability.
Not only this, it is very flexible when it comes to operating pressure. It can operate on a pressure of 29 to 51 psi. The pattern width can also be set according to the requirement between 5.9 to 7.1 inches.
Features of TCP Global Professional Gravity Feed HVLP Spray Gun
- HVLP paint gun with a durable stainless steel body components
- 1.4 mm fluid stainless steel nozzle
- Operates in a pressure ranging from 29 psi to 51 psi
- The pattern width is from 5.9 inches to 7.1 inches
- Pattern, fluid and pressure knobs let you set the settings for desired outcome
- 1 L paint canister capacity
- Flexible with compressors
- Offers great value for the price
- Versatile regarding the differently viscous materials used
- May be difficult to clean up
This unit is for you if you want to invest in a paint gun that will last you a long time. It can be used by professionals as well as beginners alike. This should be your go-to unit if you use multiple materials of various viscosities.
What is an Automotive Paint Gun?
An automotive paint gun is a device that is used for car painting. It dispenses the paint on the surface of your car in the form of a fine mist that forms a smooth coating. It comprises a nozzle that discharges the paint, a container commonly known as a paint cup to hold the paint and a cap to prevent any spilling.
Types of Automotive Paint Guns
The two most readily available and most widely used types of automotive paint guns are HVLP and LVLP. We have discussed these two types as follows:
HVLP stands for High Volume Low Pressure. These automotive paint gun systems produce high volumes of paint at low pressures. This technique, in fact, makes them the fastest paint guns. This type of air gun is very efficient and produces very little overspray. Some of the powerful models of these paint guns do not even require a compressor to operate
LVLP stands for Low Volume Low Pressure. These paint guns produce low volumes of paint at low pressure. These are slow to work with but that makes them easy to maneuver. These guns can be used with a small air compressor.
Importance of an Air Compressor
Air compressors play a vital role in the working of a spray gun. The purpose of an air compressor is to produce enough air continuously for the atomization of the material.
Here is the thing:
The larger the air compressor, the finer the paint mist, and the more efficient the spray gun.
However, an important thing to keep in mind during the selection of your air compressor is that it should be compatible with your spray gun. This means that it should be able to keep up with your paint gun.
When it comes to air compressors two main specifications are involved: Pressure in pounds per square inch (psi) and coverage in cubic feet per minute (CFM). Paint guns are rated by CFM at a specific pressure.
We advise you to get an air compressor rated at least 1.5 times your paint gun’s requirement to be on the safe side. This is to reduce any chances of your compressor running out of air in the middle of the job as it will pause the painting process for a while and the paint can start to dry up.
What is the difference between a Siphon Feed and a Gravity Feed paint gun?
Siphon feed guns are the conventional guns with paint containers at the bottom, whereas gravity feed guns have paint containers at the top. Although siphon feed is not an entirely correct term for conventional feed, it is commonly used by technicians to refer to ‘paint guns with cups at the bottom’.
In a gravity feed paint gun, no additional air pressure is required to pull the paint from the cup for atomization, as it flows into the gun due to gravity. However, in a siphon feed paint gun, air pressure needs to be maintained for the atomization of paint.
Gravity feed is usually preferred because of certain obvious advantages such as less air pressure, less overspray, better finish due to increased efficiency and more versatility.
Things to Consider Before Buying Automotive Paint Gun
Before you go off to buy an automotive paint sprayer for yourself, keep the following things in mind so that you get the product that perfectly fits your needs.
Nozzle size is an important factor to consider while buying your paint sprayer. This is because your nozzle size along with your choice of paint will determine if your paint will come out as ugly splashes or a fine mist.
Here’s the deal:
Thicker and heavy paints require a larger hole to come out, thus a bigger nozzle will be better suited. However, for thinner material, narrow nozzles are perfect.
Another thing to keep in mind is that smaller nozzles are used for intricate work and accurate spraying. On the other hand, bigger nozzles play their part in covering larger areas in less time.
We recommend that you go for the paint gun that comes with multiple nozzle sizes so that you have a wider range of options.
Size, Portability, and Comfort
The size and portability of your paint sprayer are the key factors to consider as they play an important part in your comfort.
A compact size ensures easy movement and less fatigue while working on your paint job. It is also easier to store and carry around.
Make sure that your paint sprayer is also comfortable to use. Comfort can include either longer power cord, longer hose, lightweight, or a hassle-free cleaning process. Comfort is a very important factor to consider. If you are not comfortable, you are more likely to detest using your paint gun and will think of it as a bad investment.
The comfort level decides whether you will be using that device in the future or not.
Flexibility refers to how adjustable the settings are on your paint gun. These settings include spray size, spray pattern, material flow, pressure adjustment, etc. This is important because if your paint gun is flexible, you do not have to worry about its compatibility with various materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is an HVLP paint gun recommended for car painting?
Yes, HVLP paint guns are more widely used than ever for car painting now. In fact, some HVLP paint sprayers are powerful enough to not require an air compressor for working. They offer a better finish and less overspray.
Is it better to use HVLP or an LVLP automotive paint gun?
HVLP automotive paint guns are more widely used because they give more efficient results than LVLP paint guns. LVLP paint guns may require smaller compressors but they are not as efficient as HVLP paint guns.
What is the recommended pressure for using an automotive paint gun?
An HVLP paint gun uses around 40 psi of pressure for 10-14 SCFM volume. It is recommended that you increase the pressure 2-3 psi while spraying clear coats for better atomization.
What kind of compressor should I use for my automotive paint gun?
For automotive painting, an air compressor with a capacity of 30 gallons is usually recommended. However, you should keep in mind that while using a compressor it is CFM value that matters more than psi. A higher CFM value means faster air compression capabilities of your compressor to meet your paint gun demands.
How many CFM are required for my paint gun?
It is important that you match the CFM rating on your paint gun with that of your compressor. Paint guns usually operate at 0.3 to 12 CFM. A compressor compatible with your gun will be able to keep up with it, instead of running out of compressed air mid-job.
It is pretty clear that our winner of the roundup is Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO 2. This Fuji product comes with dual nature due to its convertibility feature. This feature is especially helpful so that the paint gun is compatible with your comfort.
In other words: Unlike any other paint gun, this paint gun can be converted from bottom feed to gravity feed, allowing you to choose between the two configurations according to your comfort and ease.
This is not the only good thing about this automotive paint gun, the paint gun is non-bleed with an exceptional high wattage 2-stage motor. Moreover, a variety of tip sizes and high capacity paint cups make this paint gun extraordinarily versatile.