We totally understand how confusing it can be to get a paint sprayer with a compact design for home use.
Therefore, we have filtered out the top ten handheld paint sprayers for you after rigorous testing and experimentation, so that you can go with the one that completely satisfies your needs.
There are many different models from different brands to choose from but after reading this post, you’ll be well-informed so that you can choose the appropriate paint sprayer for yourself.
These three stood out from the crowd in terms of performance, ease of use as well as value for money.
Now, let’s move on to the detailed reviews of our top ten best handheld paint sprayers.
Best Handheld Paint Sprayer - Best 10 Reviews
1. Best Handheld Paint Sprayer with Superior Performance - Wagner Spraytech Control Spray Double Duty 0518050 Review
This paint sprayer is one of the finest products by Wagner Spraytech. We loved it because of its easy maneuvering with a perfect finish.
It is an HVLP paint sprayer with a 2-stage turbine system. These are the features that make it one of the most efficient paint sprayers.
Not only this, this paint sprayer is versatile in spray patterns but can only spray thin-bodied materials. It also includes 2 paint cups, for both indoor and outdoor jobs.
Features of Wagner Spraytech 0518050 – Best Handheld Paint Sprayer
- HVLP Paint sprayer with two-stage turbine system
- Includes two paint cups: 1 quart and 1.5 quart, and a viscosity cup
- Volume control regulator allows you to choose the desired material flow
- Features three spray patterns: Horizontal, vertical and round
- Spray pattern ranges from 0.5 to 9 inches
- Maximum flow of 4.9 fl. oz. per minute
- Easy to maneuver
- Hassle-free cleaning process within 10 minutes
- Takes barely 5 minutes to set up
- High capacity material cups reduce the fatigue of refill
- Desired material flow can be achieved using the flow regulator
- Compact and lightweight
- Can only be used with thin materials
- Prone to clogging
- Extensive straining and thinning of material may be required
This paint sprayer is one of the ideal paint sprayers for homeowners that want a promising finish. This handheld paint sprayer is a must-have for small to medium paint jobs.
2. Most Effective Handheld Paint Sprayer - REXBETI Ultimate-750 Review
With this handheld paint sprayer, you can achieve a superior finish in no time thanks to its 400-watt motor that produces one of the finest paint mists.
High wattage may raise concerns regarding high electricity consumption, but it gets the work done with the least effort and minimum time.
You can also spray highly viscous materials such as chalk and milk type paints.
Not only this, its versatility in nozzle sizes and spray patterns makes it the perfect choice for all kinds of paint jobs.
Moreover, the long power cord makes movement easy to reach hard corners and reduce fatigue.
Features of REXBETI Ultimate-750
- HVLP paint gun with a powerful motor of 500 watts
- Includes a variety of nozzle sizes: 2.0 mm and 2.5 mm for thin-bodied materials and 3.0 mm for thick-bodied material
- Offers three spray patterns: Round, horizontal, vertical
- Allows users to adjust flow for desired output
- High capacity 1 L material cup
- Small in size and lightweight
- Easy to use and clean up
- Can spray material with high as well as low consistency alike
- Easy to assemble
- Long power cord makes moving around easy
- High electricity consumption
This paint sprayer is for the perfectionists who want the finest and the smoothest coverage and those who work with all kinds of material. Its ability to spray a wide variety of material makes it super versatile and usable for all kinds of jobs.
3. Best Value-for-money Handheld Paint Sprayer - Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Review
This paint sprayer is loved by our team because of its ability to perfectly atomize the material and produce a fine mist.
Another feature that we loved was its anti-spill feed line. This is because of an innovatively designed air valve.
No matter what angle you hold the gun, the canister is very well fixed and does not allow any spills.
It can go to a maximum of 11 inches fan width and works best at an 8-inch distance.
Features of Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008
- Two-piece construction with a creative air valve design for the gun
- Fan control adjustment of maximum 11 inches at a distance of 8 inches
- Nozzle size: 1.8 mm
- Operating pressure: 50 to 60 psi
- Works perfectly with a compressor of 3 hp
- Paint cup of 1-quart capacity
- Anti-spill technology allows you to work without caring about spilling any material
- Hassle-free cleanup and assembly
- Durable for its price
- Easy to use
- May not work with viscous materials
If you are looking for an inexpensive paint sprayer that also provides a high-quality outcome then this unit is for you.
4. Best Go-to Handheld Paint Sprayer - HomeRight C800971 Super Finish Max Review
This paint sprayer is in our top ten because of the exceptional experience it offers.
It does not require a lot of thinning as compared to other handheld paint sprayers, thanks to its 450 watts motor. That means less work for you.
Moreover, another amazing feature is that it comes with a built-in compressor so you do not have to get one to use this unit.
Features of HomeRight C800971
- HVLP paint sprayer with a powerful 450 wattage unit
- Paint canister of 39 ounces
- Comes with a wide range of paint tips to spray all kinds of materials
- Three paint patterns: Horizontal, vertical and circular
- Nozzle and needle are made of brass, to reduce wear off
- Adjustable material flow allows you to achieve desired paint mist
- Saves money on additional compressor
- Compact and lightweight
- Less thinning required
- Easy to use and clean
- Less frequent refilling thanks to large capacity
- Long-lasting due to brass parts
- May not work well with oil-based paints and on ceilings
This handheld paint sprayer is the one to answer all your calls if you work with different kinds of materials. It can also be used to paint on all kinds of projects such as furniture, walls, decks, doors, etc. This means it is perfect for home renovators, DIY-ers and even handymen.
5. Most User-Friendly Handheld Paint Sprayer - Critter Spray Review
Our team loved this paint sprayer and recommends it to our DIY-ers who work on small to medium projects and want an affordable paint sprayer.
The best thing about this paint sprayer is that it uses regular mason jars as paint canisters. Mason jars are readily available and are very economical. You can get a few mason jars and use them for different colors.
This is also the best choice for users who dislike cleaning up. You can just use a new mason jar every time if you do not want to clean the used one.
Features of Critter Spray
- Siphon paint sprayer that uses a compressor
- 16-ounce mason jars are used as paint cups
- Metal spray gun
- Requires a ¾ hp compressor
- Requires 3 CFM at 90 psi
- Uses easily available mason jars as paint cans
- Flexible to other types of containers as well
- Hassle-free cleaning
- Perfect for small DIY projects and paint jobs around the house
- Requires a compressor
- Not suitable for bigger jobs
- Only offers round patterns
This handheld paint sprayer is perfect for you if you are a DIY-er and want an affordable unit. It is ideal for small jobs around the house.
6. Best Entry-Level Handheld Paint Sprayer - Wagner Spraytech Control Spray 0417005 Review
Next up we have yet another Wagner unit. Wagner Spraytech has been known to never compromise on quality, and this paint sprayer is proof of that.
Like every other Wagner paint sprayer, this one also only required 10 minutes to assemble.
Moreover, thanks to Lock-n-Go technology it only requires about 5 minutes to clean up.
It is easily adjustable so you can quickly modify how thick or thin you want your coating output to be.
Features of Wagner Spraytech 0417005
- HVLP Paint sprayer with a high-speed turbine
- Three air patterns, that are controlled by the air cap: Horizontal, vertical, round
- Adjustable material flow to control the output coating
- Pattern width: 0.5 to 6 inches
- Includes 1-quart material cup and a viscosity cup
- Lock-n-Go technology makes setting up and cleaning up hassle-free
- Easy to set up
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight and portable
- Less frequent filling required
- Can spray all kinds of thin material
- Can only spray thin materials
This paint sprayer is ideal for home use. If you are an eager user or someone who doesn’t like to clean up later, this paint sprayer is for you.
7. Best Simple-to-Operate Handheld Paint Sprayer - Tacklife SGP15AC Review
This paint sprayer is well-liked by our team because of its versatility and multiple spray tip options. A wide variety of tips and adjustable control flow allow you to spray all kinds of materials.
Not to mention the key component, a spray tip of 1 mm. It is made out of copper for extended life. It can be used to spray a fine smooth coating with evenly distributed atomized particles. This tip is perfect for intricate work.
Features of Tacklife SGP15AC
- Offers three spray patterns: Horizontal and vertical flat jet and a round jet
- Includes four nozzles: 1.0 mm, 2.0 mm, 2.5 mm, 3.0 mm
- 900 ml paint can with quick fill lid to refill it without taking it off the paint gun
- One-way valve prevents the paint from flowing back
- Adjustable knob to control material flow
- 5.9 ft. power cord to reach difficult edges and corners
- Easy refills save time
- Hassle-free assembly and disassembly makes cleanup easy
- Less overspray
- Requires a lot of care
If you are looking for a paint sprayer that is compatible with all kinds of materials, then look no further. This paint sprayer is for our home renovators and DIY-er friends who are always working on home projects.
8. Easy-to-Use Handheld Paint Sprayer - HomeRight Finish Max C800766 Review
This handheld paint sprayer is very well-liked by our team. It is a powerful HVLP tool that can spray a wide range of materials.
With this kind of versatility, you can use it to paint all kinds of surfaces. In addition, it can hold 27 ounces of paint, so less frequent refilling is required.
One of the key features that was loved by our team is its brass parts. The paint nozzles are made out of brass and therefore are wear-resistant than its non-metal counterparts.
Features of HomeRight Finish Max C800766
- HVLP paint sprayer with 400 watts motor
- Material control flow knob allows you to increase or decrease paint output as desired
- Air cap adjustment allows horizontal, vertical and round patterns
- Paint cup of 27 ounces and a viscosity cup
- Comes with a 2 mm precision brass tip
- Seals and splash guards prevent paint leakage and backflow respectively
- Easy to use and clean
- Assembles and disassembles quickly
- May require extensive thinning of material
- Prone to clogging
It may not be the perfect tool out there, but it is, in fact, the perfect paint sprayer for newbies. If you are looking for a budget-friendly paint sprayer that also offers a superior finish, this paint sprayer is for you.
9. Best All-Rounder Handheld Paint Sprayer - PaintWIZ PW25150 PRO Review
PaintWiz is a powerful handheld paint sprayer manufactured by Fuji. Fuji has been known for its best quality power tools in the market. This paint sprayer is very well-liked by our team as it comes with a 400 watts motor to spray a smooth and fine finish.
Its plastic construction makes it lightweight. With this, its 800 ml and 1.3 L paint cups make it a perfect tool for home tasks such as painting doors, furniture, indoor walls, etc.
Features of PaintWIZ PW25150
- Powerful 400 watts HVLP paint sprayer
- Fluid control dial allows the user to adjust material flow and achieve the desired output
- Three spray patterns: Horizontal, vertical and circular
- 800 ml and a 1.3 L paint cup included
- Includes a 2.6 mm and a 1.8 mm nozzle
- Additional accessories include mesh strainers, viscosity cup, and a cleaning brush
- Lightweight and portable
- Very little overspray
- Simple to maneuver
- Quick clean up
- Perfect for intricate work
- Thinning is required
- Can only be used for small projects
If you are a person who likes to fix little paint problems around the house yourself, this is for you. It is one of the best tools for weekend warriors and DIY-ers who are perfectionists and desire professional results.
10. Best High-Quality Handheld Paint Sprayer - Campbell Hausfeld HVLP Spray Gun Review
Our last product in our top ten is a handheld HVLP gravity feed paint sprayer. It made its way on the top ten because of its low overspray and superfine atomization of material. Its canister with its gravity feed design does not let any material go to waste.
In this paint sprayer, both fluid and air can be regulated with your choice of the spray pattern.
It’s modestly priced and provides great value for your hard-earned money.
Features of Campbell Hausfeld HVLP Spray Gun
- Dimensions: 9 inches x 7 inches x 9 inches
- Effective HVLP paint sprayer with a gravity feed design
- Features pattern, material and air spray settings for desired material mist and outcome
- 600 ml gravity feed paint can
- Uses 4.0 CFM at 40 psi
- Easy to use
- No wasted material
- Gets the job done quickly
- Very less overspray
- Can only be used with thin materials
If you are looking for a paint gun to paint a few items at your home and take up a few small-scale projects at home, this paint sprayer is for you. It is the perfect tool for DIY projects and revamping your home.
Handheld vs Stationary Paint Sprayer
Although both types of paint sprayers have their own pros and cons, the major difference is that handheld paint prayers are used for small-scale to medium jobs. On the other hand, stationery paint sprayers are used for rather larger projects.
Stationery paint sprayers do not allow for a lot of movement and therefore it may not be that easy to spray hard-to-reach corners. This may also cause fatigue and frustration.
Stationery paint sprayers also come in relatively large sizes, which may be hard to store and carry around as compared to handheld paint sprayers.
Things to keep in mind when buying a paint sprayer:
There are many factors that should be kept in mind while buying a handheld paint sprayer for yourself. The following are some of the features that can act as selection criteria for you to choose your handheld paint sprayer.
Flow Rate and Flow Rate Control
Flow rate is defined as the amount of fluid dispensed per minute. In paint sprayers, it is the amount of paint sprayed from the nozzle per minute. The flow rate control feature allows you to adjust the flow rate according to yourself. High flow rate means more material exiting the spray gun.
However, here’s the deal:
High flow rate may immensely reduce the time to complete the job, it is also very difficult to get used to it, considering it takes time to master it.
The pressure in the paint sprayer atomizes the paint particles into the fine mist to be deposited onto the surface. Pressure control feature is important because differently viscous materials atomize at different pressures.
Thick-bodies materials obviously require more pressure than thin-bodied materials.
Therefore, a pressure control dial helps you regulate the magnitude of pressure for your desired material and outcome. Improper pressure for a certain material can result in a very poor job, for example, it can cause streak lines in the spray pattern.
The capacity of your paint sprayer is a very important feature to consider when buying it. Now, the thing is:
As appealing as a high capacity paint sprayer sounds, it should be kept in mind that it will be just as heavy. Thus, you need to decide on a mediocre capacity so that it doesn’t cause any arm fatigue while painting and also does not frustrate you with frequent refills.
Dimensions of the Paint Sprayer
Dimensions of the paint sprayer refer to its size. For a handheld paint sprayer, small to medium dimensions are perfect. Since it will be involving some manual effort you would not want a huge paint sprayer.
Smaller paint sprayers are also easy to store and use, causing less trouble.
Gravity Feed vs Bottom Feed
As the name suggests, in a bottom feed paint sprayer the material feeds from the bottom into the paint gun. Such paint sprayers use additional equipment to pressurize the air.
On the other hand, in a gravity feed paint sprayer, the paint cup lies on top of the paint gun. The material is fed into the gun due to gravitational pull. This is beneficial as it cuts down the need for high pressure.
Safety Measures with Paint Sprayers
Paint sprayers have proven to be very helpful when tackling a paint job. However, while using a paint sprayer, paint particles tend to get on everything. Although most of them settle on the surface to be painted, many also deviate from that path. Therefore, it is important that you take care of yourself and follow proper safety measures.
- Use goggles to prevent any paint mist particles from getting into your eyes.
- Wear a full-sleeved shirt and pants or an overall to cover yourself completely. Paint getting on your skin can cause severe allergic reactions.
- Use masks to avoid inhaling any paint mist.
- Make sure that you are performing the paint job in a well-ventilated area to avoid saturation of particles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it necessary to thin the paint?
It is not compulsory to thin the paint. However, it depends on your desired consistency of the material, how thin or thick you want it to be. The generally followed rule is to mix 1 cup of water for every gallon of latex paint. For oil-based paints, start with adding small amounts of thinner until you have reached your desired consistency.
What is the ratio of paint to thinner while diluting the paint?
We advise you to consult manufacturers’ labels on the paint containers for the recommended paint to thinner ratio. The usually adopted ratio is 3:1 or 4:1 or similar fractions.
How does thinning affect the shade of the paint?
Thinning does not change the color of the paint. However, it does reduce the coverage capacity of the material, so you may need to spray a couple more coats for a smooth finish and a fine look.
Do I have to thin paint for an HVLP paint sprayer?
Yes, HVLP paint sprayers work best when the material has been thinned. They do not work at as high a pressure as an airless paint sprayer, therefore they cannot atomize viscous materials.
Why are there streaks in my spray pattern?
Paint sprayers leave streaks usually due to low pressure at the tip. These streaks may rather look like thick bands at the edges. You can increase the pressure until the streak lines are gone.
How do I get rid of streaks in my spray pattern?
Try increasing the pressure of your paint sprayer until you get rid of the streak line. If you are already at the highest pressure, make sure the filters are clean as there is also a pressure drop across a plugged screen.
What are the reasons my paint sprayer might be spitting?
A loose fluid nozzle is a major reason for your paint sprayer to be spitting. When loose, the fluid nozzle does not properly fix in the spray gun tip and allows air to enter in the fluid supply. The invasion of air causes spitting. Moreover, using a tip size greater than the rated one also results in streaks as it causes pressure-drop across it.
Is it alright to leave paint in the sprayer overnight?
It is not alright to leave paint in the paint sprayer all night. This is due to the reason that the paint will cure inside the tool and may damage it. Cleaning out cured paint does not only take more time but may also be costly.
Do I need to clean my paint sprayer during breaks?
No, there is no need to clean out your paint sprayer while taking breaks. However, it is very important that you flush it out every night to prevent the paint from curing in the sprayer.
How do you keep paint sprayer from clogging?
To keep the paint sprayer from clogging, make sure that you strain and filter your paint effectively, flush clean the sprayer and reprime the system. Clogging is caused by solid particles in the paint, so thinning down the material will not do you any good.
The obvious winner of our roundup is Wagner Spraytech 0518050! With its 2-stage turbine system, it produces a very fine finish and gives professional results. It is very flexible when it comes to spray patterns and includes paint cups in two different sizes. The sizes allow you to work indoors on a small project and outdoors on a slightly larger project as well.
We love it because of its hassle-free cleaning process that barely takes 10 minutes and a 5-minute assembly process.