I think you will agree with me when I say:
Painting furniture is a messy job and you do not always get the outcome you anticipated. The reason is usually a lot of paint overrun and thus you end up with an untidy paint job.
However, we have a solution to this problem:
Paint Sprayers! Paint sprayers let you control the amount of paint flow, hence preventing excessive overrun.
Our team reviewed many paint sprayers for furniture and selected the top ten to help you out.
Now that we have looked at the best ones, let’s see what other great choices we have.
Best Paint Sprayer for Furniture - Top 10 Reviews
Check out our ten most-liked paint sprayers that are just the right choice for your furniture renewing.
1. Best Three-way Pattern Paint Sprayer - Wagner 0518050 Review
Wagner SprayTech is known for its paint sprayers that satisfy the clients’ needs. This paint sprayer is very useful for all kinds of furniture and woodworking projects. It comes with two cups of 1 Qt. and 1.5 Qt. capacity and a Lock n Go mechanism. These two features allow convenient and quick switching of paints.
Features of Wagner 0518050 – Best Paint Sprayer for Furniture
- HVLP low overspray technology with 2-Stage indoor air-turbine
- Offers three spray positions: vertical, horizontal, circular
- Adjustable control-trigger patterns from 1 to 10 inches with control flow
- Comes with 2 attachable containers: 1 quart and 1.5 quart
- Lock n Go technology makes cleaning easy
- Coverage of 4.9 fl. oz. /min
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Lock n Go Technology offers quick clean up
- Compatible containers for various materials
- Compact and simple to operate
- Controlled flow gives the finest finish
- Plastic construction might not be durable
This is one of the favorite products among our team. It is a great compromise between cost and quality. It can be assembled and disassembled without any hassle.
2. Best All-Rounder Paint Sprayer- Fuji 2202 Semi-Pro Review
If you want paint sprayers with multiple working mechanisms in a reasonable price range, this might be your best choice.
You might be wondering ‘Why?’
Well, this paint sprayer is special because it comes with a convertible feature. Yes, that’s right, it can be converted from a bottom feed paint sprayer to a gravity feed one in no time. This TWO-in-ONE feature lets you accomplish a range of jobs with a perfect final outcome.
Features of Fuji 2202 Semi-Pro
- Non-bleed paint sprayer with a 2-stage HVLP system
- Adjustable fan control within 1 to 12 inches and vertical, horizontal and circular control patterns
- 1 Quart bottom feed cup and 400 cubic cm gravity feed cup
- Includes 0.8 mm to 2 mm air caps, with 1.3 mm air cap installed
- Convertible from gravity feed to bottom feed and vice versa
- 25 ft. hose with air control valve
- Gives satisfying outcomes
- Easily dismantles for quick cleanup
- Differently viscous materials can be used thanks to range of air caps
- Convertibility makes it super versatile
- Adjustable control knob for appropriate settings
- Reduced overspray
- Long hose and carry handle of the system make work at site easy
- Noisy for indoor use
This paint sprayer is ideal not only for painting furniture but also for slightly larger projects such as walls, ceilings, etc. This paint sprayer is a treat to use and also gives you the finest results.
3. Best Lightweight Paint Sprayer - Rexbeti Ultimate-750 Review
Our team reviewed and tested a lot of paint sprayers for your small as well as large scale residential project. This is the one we found the most effective for you.
It is equipped with three nozzles to counter any type of job with a 500-watt power motor and 750 ml/min of paint flow.
Features of Rexbeti Ultimate-750
- HVLP paint sprayer with 500 watts power
- Three spray patterns: Vertical, horizontal, circular
- Equipped with 3 nozzle sizes: 2.00 mm and 2.5 mm (for thin paints), 3.00 mm (for thicker paints)
- Easily adjustable flow with control knob
- 1 liter paint cup capacity
- Cord length: 6.6 ft.
- Easy to maneuver handheld paint sprayer
- Longer cord lets you move freely in a larger space hence saves time
- Adjustable flow control for optimum requirement
- Powerful motor handles large as well as small projects
- Easy and quick cleaning
- Dilution of material is required
- More containers may be required
This paint sprayer offers maximum features within a very reasonable price range. The results are amazing with a fine professional finish and minimum overspray.
4. Ideal Paint Sprayer for Beginners - Critter Spray 22032 Review
Critter Spray 2202 is very well-liked among the newbies. We loved this paint sprayer because of its simplicity and convenience.
It uses mason jars as its paint cups. Mason jars are easily available and at a very reasonable cost. For any small job that needs a lot of different colors, this could be the best option. Different jars could be used for different shades. You will only have to change the jar to use another color. This will prevent frequent cleaning during work and will save time.
Features of Critter Spray 22032
- Dimensions: 7 x 2 x 9 inches
- Compressor mounted siphon paint sprayer
- Uses 16-ounce mason jar as paint cup
- Uses 3 cubic ft./minute at a pressure of 90 psi
- 1.65 pounds
- Very affordable
- Mason jars are used at paint cups
- Gets little odd jobs done around the house
- Simple to clean
- Ideal for beginners
- Does not include a compressor, however, uses one
- Repeated paint refill required
If you want to tweak your house in a budget-friendly way, this paint sprayer is for you. For its wallet-friendly price, it does a very nice job and can be used with a number of thin-bodied paints.
5. Best Paint Sprayer with Controlled Flow - Wagner 0518080 Review
This paint sprayer is one of our favorites when it comes to achieving the finest finish. It has a wide range of adjustable settings and patterns to give you the perfect paint mist without any overspray.
Features of Wagner 0518080
- Two-stage powerful turbine system and HVLP technology atomizes paint particles for ideal paint mist
- Adjustable pressure control from 1.50 to 2.63 psi
- 10 level material flow adjuster to allow the right paint flow for the job
- Vertical, horizontal and round spray patterns from 0.5 to 12 inches width allow control over the paint flow
- Extended reach due to 20 ft. flexible hose
- Includes 1 Quart metallic and 1.5 Quart plastic cup
- Lock n Go technology for speedy clean up
- Allows painting with thin and thick materials
- Adjustable settings provide the ideal finish
- Decreased overspray
- Wide range of spray patterns
- Easy cleaning allows you to quickly switch between materials
- Quieter than other paint sprayers
- Small, light, affordable and easy to maneuver
- Best suited only for small scale projects
- Some users may find power cord short
This paint sprayer is for all the perfectionists who want a professional experience with the perfect outcome. It will give you the brilliant finish you want in all your DIY and residential projects.
6. Best Compact Paint Sprayer - Graco Magnum 257025 Review
Graco is one of the most admirable brands with the best products in the market for its customers. Graco Magnum 257025 uses airless technology to achieve quick results. This feature makes it ideal for large scale projects, however, it is also a good choice to perform smaller tasks.
Features of Graco Magnum 257025
- Airless paint sprayer with controlled pressure
- Power Flush Adapter allows quick clean up
- Stainless Steel Piston Pump uses high pressure making it compatible for unthinned material
- Reverse-a-Clean feature unclogs tips with a twist in an instant
- Flexible suction tube allows direct spray from paint bucket
- Designed with a carry hook to move it altogether
- Performance rating of 0.24 gal/min with a motor of 3/8 hp and a maximum pressure of 2800 psi
- Hose of 50 ft.
- Durable and simple to use
- Power Flush Adapter allows hassle-free cleanup
- No refilling required due to hose mechanism instead of paint can
- Long hose increases reach
- Versatile thanks to adjustable controls and patterns
- RAC tip makes it easily uncloggable
- Stainless Steel Pump allows use of thick paint
- A smaller tip is required to carry out household tasks
- A good amount of paint might get wasted due to hose and suction tube
This paint sprayer provides a professional experience with an amazing finish and terrific results. It is the perfect tool for home renovation as well as smaller DIY projects.
7. Best Paint Sprayer with Perfect Finish - Earlex HV5500 Spray Station Review
Next up, we have the perfect semi-pro paint sprayer for you. It is the ideal tool for small to medium jobs such as painting doors, cabinets, furniture, cars, etc. It is a specially designed paint sprayer for light contractors, automotive enthusiasts and even serious woodworkers.
It includes a 650-watt power turbine that produces 42 cubic feet per minute and a pressure of 2.2 psi. This means many jobs can be completed in a relatively smaller amount of time.
Features of Earlex HV5500 Spray Station
- HVLP technology with 750-watt turbine
- The system generates 42 cubic feet per minute at a pressure of 2.2 psi
- Hose length: 13 ft., cord length: 5.5 ft.
- Storage for spray gun, hose, and cord on the device
- Includes 2.0 mm stainless steel needle and 1 quart PTFE coated paint canister
- Push-and-click mechanism for multiple flow patterns: vertical, horizontal and round
- Features a flow control dial for adjustable settings
- Fan width ranging from 1 to 12 inches
- Easy cleanup
- Carry handle makes moving around easy
- Simple to maneuver and operate
- Amazing control over material flow
- Material thinning is not necessary
- Hose is not fixed and might keep falling off if the paint sprayer is jerked
- A range of tips might be more helpful
This paint sprayer offers a professional finish. Its portability allows you to perform jobs anywhere. A variety of jobs can be performed with this paint sprayer ranging from medium to small. It is perfect for entry-level users.
8. Best Entry-Level Paint Sprayer - Earlex HV1900 Spray Station Review
We used and tested this product out. It is one of the perfect paint sprayers for entry-level users if they want a flawless job done. It took us merely six minutes to paint a 6×6 ft. square, and it used only 1 quart of the material. With its tiny and light spray gun and turbine that comes with an embedded carry handle, this paint sprayer is readily mobile.
Features of Earlex HV1900 Spray Station
- Turbine power of 400W
- Brass needle tip of 2mm
- Includes 2.7 m long hose and cable of 2.0 m length.
- Includes canister of capacity 1 liter
- Controlled flow due to flow dial
- Vertical, horizontal and round spray patterns.
- Other multiple size needle tips are also compatible
- Lightweight, compact and therefore easily portable
- Versatile with respect to spray patterns
- Easy to clean up
- Very economical
- Only for small and medium jobs
- Dilution of material is required
This is the perfect paint sprayer for fresh users who want professional results with the finest finish. It is quick, easy to operate and comfortable to carry around.
9. Best High-speed Performance Paint Sprayer - Graco Magnum 262805 X5 Review
This paint sprayer is very cost-efficient and offers high-speed performance. It is equipped with durable, stainless steel piston pumps and it sprays a wide variety of coatings from paints to heavy latex.
Features of Graco Magnum 262805 X5
- Airless paint sprayer with controlled pressure
- Power Flush Adapter for quick clean up
- Comes with Stainless Steel Piston Pump
- Reverse-a-Clean feature clears tip plugs with a twist in an instant
- Flexible suction tube and a 75 ft. long hose
- Motor of ½ hp and maximum pressure of 3000 psi
- Performance rating of 0.27 gal/min
- Durable, reliable and simple to maneuver
- Easy clean up due to Power Flush Adapter
- No refilling because of hose mechanism instead of container
- Long hose for better reach
- Versatile regarding adjustable control
- RAC tip makes unclogging quick
- Unthinned paint can be used thanks to Stainless Steel Piston Pump
- More useful for outside projects
- There might be a chance of clogging, although the manual says otherwise, therefore thinning is advised
This paint sprayer delivers professional flawless results. We recommend it for those who work on outdoor projects but also our DIY and home-renovators alike.
10. Best Easy-to-Operate Paint Sprayer - HomeRight Finish Max C800766 Review
Whether you are a beginner or an expert in this field of work, this paint sprayer works perfectly for both alike. It uses HVLP technology with turbine motor which eradicates the need of a compressor.
In addition to this, it comes with an incredible 2 mm brass tip and nozzle. This provides superior performance as compared to its plastic counterparts. The shape and hardness of plastic components may change due to temperature changes, but metals are more stable in this regard and thus offer more reliability.
Features of HomeRight C800766
- HVLP technology with turbine motor of 400 watts
- Air cap can be adjusted to spray vertical, horizontal or round patterns
- Material flow control knob lets you increase or decrease the amount of material output quickly.
- Comes with a viscosity cup to measure paint thickness, and cleaning brush for quick clean up
- Brass Spray Tip Technology
- Tight seal allows air to flow into the cup and splash guard prevents paint from back-flow in the nozzle.
- Easy to clean up: Use water for water-based materials and mineral spirits for oil-based materials
- Versatile regarding the types of materials used e.g. stains, varnishes, enamels, chalk and milk paint, etc.
- Superior corrosion and wear resistance thanks to brass tip technology
- High quality and consistent spray pattern
- Lightweight and ergonomically superior
- Thinning and straining of paint is required
- A little noisy
At a very reasonable price, this paint sprayer gives a factory-like finish. It is perfect for home-based jobs with its simple design and ease of clean up.
The price of a paint sprayer can be anywhere between $200 and $400. An HVLP Paint sprayer usually costs more than an Airless paint sprayer. However, for an indoor job, with intricate work such as painting furniture, we highly recommend HVLP Paint Sprayer.
Although expensive, it is very cost-efficient, as it does not waste any material and gives satisfying results.
Paint sprayers can weigh from 5 pounds to 30 pounds. This means they come in all shapes and sizes. They can be compact and small which makes them easy to carry around, or they can be bigger in size which needs to be dragged around.
We have experienced that wheels and handles come in very handy when you have to move around carrying a paint sprayer with floor-based apparatus. Powerful paint sprayers are much heavier, these are the ones that come with wheel-and-handle floor-based units.
Other smaller paint sprayers are much easier to move around with. Their size is comparable with that of a drill machine.
However, it should be kept in mind that even a smaller unit can cause exhaustion due to constant carrying and painting.
Other portability options involve carrying the paint sprayer apparatus in the form of a back-pack. This can be tiring on the shoulders.
While using paint sprayers, certain safety measures should be taken:
- Wear painting overalls, or a full-sleeves shirt with trousers to prevent your skin from paint. If paint touches your skin it can cause a severe reaction and rash. Seek medical attention if this happens, immediately.
- Wear gloves to prevent pricking yourself from spray gun tip. Painting materials may carry harmful toxins that can enter your skin.
- Wear a mask or respirator to prevent inhaling paint fumes. These can be toxic and cause respiratory irritation.
- Protect your eyes by wearing goggles. This will prevent any paint droplets from entering your eye and causing any irritation.
In addition to these, we highly advise that you work in a well-ventilated environment to not allow paint fumes to saturate in your working area.
Make sure that there is no chance of spark in your work area as many paints are inflammable. Smokers should also abstain from smoking in the working area.
We also advise you to not paint on windy days.
We have encountered different paint sprayers and they are powered in different ways:
- Fuel-powered /gas
You should also keep in mind that sometimes the paint sprayers come with a compressor, which may need a separate power source.
How to determine the perfect pressure?
In order to determine the perfect pressure for your paint sprayer, we recommend that you follow these steps:
- Start with the lowest pressure, and your desired paint flow and pattern.
- Now, start painting on a discarded piece of cardboard or plywood.
- If you are not satisfied with the result, increase pressure and try different settings
- Increase the pressure gradually until you are satisfied with the result.
We advise you to use the minimum pressure at which you obtain your desired result. Higher pressure has been known to decrease the life of the paint sprayer.
When and when not to use a paint sprayer?
When you start using a paint sprayer, you are tempted to use it for every job, may it be small or large-scale. You can use the paint sprayer without any hesitation if you are painting large spaces (such as the exterior of a house), walls, ceilings, trims, empty rooms or houses, or smaller household projects such as furniture, cabinets, doors, etc.
However, there are certain conditions where we do not advise using a paint sprayer:
- If you do not have proper space for painting
- If you are hesitant that you do not have enough paint. Paint sprayers consume more paint than traditional paint brushes and rollers.
- If you are not willing to clean up. Some users may find paint sprayers easier to clean up as compared to paintbrushes and rollers, but they consume more time in taking apart and cleaning up.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of paint sprayer is recommended to paint furniture?
We recommend an HVLP Paint Sprayer to use for painting furniture. It forms a uniform mist of painting material that reaches the spots where brushes and roller, or paint mist with larger paint droplets cannot reach.
In addition to this, HVLP Paint Sprayer gives factory-like finish without any overspray.
What is a viscosity cup?
A viscosity cup is used to measure viscosity on your painting material. It helps you determine if your paint is thin enough to be used in your paint sprayer. Moreover, it proves to be very handy for a paint job.
Not only this but knowing the viscosity of your painting material also helps you in choosing ideal settings for your paint sprayer to achieve a consistent result.
Is there any prep work needed?
Yes, to obtain the best results with minimum clean up, prep work is very important.
Prep work includes protecting other surfaces from paint mist by using drop cloths, and sheets. Masking tape is used to mark edges of painting surfaces, cover-up window frames, etc.
You would also want to remove everything from the room you are painting in. If you are short on space, you can move things to the middle of the room, cover them up and start painting.
What is more beneficial, hose or cup?
Your decision of using a cup or hose paint sprayer depends upon the size of the job.
If you are going to be working on a large-scale project, such as painting house exterior, walls, or ceilings you might want to use paint sprayer with hose mechanism to avoid refilling. However, make sure that the hose fixes perfectly with your paint sprayer and does not pop off frequently.
A cup paint sprayer is perfect for a job that does not require a lot of paint, such as painting doors, furniture, cabinets, etc. In such jobs, even if refilling is required, it is not more than a couple of times.
Is any additional equipment required?
Additional equipment is not always necessary but if you are working on a bigger project, you might need it. It includes:
- Protectants and Conditioners for the smooth running of paint sprayers
- Extension rod to paint hard-to-reach areas
- Long hose to let you move around easily
- Tip to allow you to paint according to the size of the project
- Filters to prevent clogging of paint
Obviously, our winner here is Wagner 0518050! Not only does it provide a perfect finish with professional experience, but it also offers virtually no overspray. It comes with two paint containers for quick switch and swift working.
Its Lock n Go Technology makes it hassle-free to clean. It took our team 5 minutes to set it up and 10 minutes to tidy up everything after the work had been done.
Moreover, variable control flow and three-way pattern settings let you choose the best optimum flow and direction for producing factory-like finish on your project.
All in all, it is a great paint sprayer for your furniture in our experience.