You’ll agree with us when we say that finding an appropriate paint sprayer that can properly paint walls can be quite difficult.
Keeping this in mind, we decided to test out all the popular paint sprayers we could get our hands on in order to bring you this extensive list.
Today, we’ll discuss what features you need in a paint sprayer to effectively paint walls and how you can determine which one would be most suitable for you.
Now that we have had a brief look at the best ones, let’s look into the detailed reviews of the top 10 best paint sprayers for walls.
Best Paint Sprayer for Walls - Best 10 Reviews
1. Best High-Speed Paint Sprayer for Walls - Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Review
Graco Magnum X5 is our team’s top favorite paint sprayer because of its high-quality parts which increase its durability. It is an airless paint sprayer, which makes it ideal for painting walls and performing other big jobs.
Another feature that is our absolute favorite is its Power Flush Adapter. This attaches to the paint sprayer and cleans up the machine in barely 10 minutes rather than half an hour.
Features of Graco Magnum 262800 X5 – Best Paint Sprayer for Walls
- Airless paint sprayer with stainless steel pump and SG2 metal spray gun and ½ hp motor
- Sprays directly from 1-gallon or 5-gallon bucket, thanks to the flexible suction tube
- Includes a 25 ft. hose and a 75 ft. hose for hard to reach areas, without compromising on performance
- Stainless steel pump allows the use of unthinned materials, with RAC IV Switch Tip for immediate unclogging
- Power Flush Adapter can be used with any garden hose to clean the sprayer
- Push Primer Feature ensures uncomplicated priming
- Performance Rating: 0.27 gal/min
- Good value for money
- Durable despite its lightweight and compact for easy storage
- Easy to carry with the handle
- Easy to set up and use, recommended for beginners
- Hassle-free cleaning
- Adjustable pressure-flow gives you control over the spraying material
- May clog thick materials more often
- Tends to move around at higher pressures
- Does a better job for slightly bigger and outdoor projects
This paint sprayer is for you if you want professional results with a smooth finish. This is an entry-level airless paint sprayer ideal for walls. If you are a DIY-er or a home renovator, you should give this product a shot.
2. Most Versatile Paint Sprayer for Walls - Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO Review
Next up, we have this two-in-one, super versatile spraying unit. This paint sprayer’s specialty is that it is convertible. You can convert it from a gravity feed to a bottom feed and vice versa.
This HVLP paint sprayer comprises of a powerful 1400 watts 2-Stage motor, non-bleed gun, and an adjustable pattern flow control.
We loved it because of its stainless steel passages that prevent the needle tip from wearing off. In addition to this, it is suitable for water-based and oil-based materials.
Features of Fuji 2203G Semi-PRO
- HVLP paint sprayer with a 1400 watts 2-Stage Motor
- Convertible from bottom feed to gravity feed and vice versa
- Comes with 1 Quart bottom feed cup and 400 cc gravity feed cup
- Adjustable nozzle allows you to fix the spray pattern according to your needs
- Features vertical, horizontal and round from 1 to 12 inches
- Comes with non-bleed spray gun and stainless steel nozzle and needle
- Includes 25 ft. hose, allowing easy movement
- Comes with 0.8 mm to 2 mm air caps
- Convertible feature makes it versatile
- Quite durable
- Reduces overspray thanks to air control valve
- Disassembles easily for quick cleaning
- Handle with motor makes carrying comfortable
- For a greater job, cup capacity might not be enough
- Motor can be loud
- A little pricey
If you are looking for a long-lasting and fully adjustable paint sprayer, this one’s for you. This paint sprayer is perfect for indoor and outdoor use. You can use it according to your comfort thanks to its two configurations.
3. Most Cost-Efficient Paint Sprayer for Walls - Graco Magnum 262805 X7 Review
Next up, we have another airless cart paint sprayer which is another high-quality product by Graco. Our team found this paint sprayer to be ideal for handymen as well as homeowners.
This paint sprayer can be used for indoor jobs such as painting interior walls, and also for outdoor jobs such as painting decks, fences, etc.
This paintless paint sprayer consists of a stainless steel piston pump, ⅝ hp motor, and a Power Flush Adapter feature. In addition to this, a completely adjustable pressure feature that makes its operation and clean-up super easy. The cart allows easy movement of the paint sprayer as well as that of the paint bucket.
Features of Graco Magnum 262805 X7
- Airless cart paint sprayer with stainless steel piston pump
- The powerful ⅝ hp motor provides a pressure of 3000 psi, allowing it to be used with unthinned materials
- Includes a 50 ft. long hose and pressure control knob to keep spraying under control
- Maximum length of hose is 100 ft. that can be used
- Flexible suction tube to be used directly with the paint bucket
- Reverse-A-Clean spray tip allows instant unclogging
- Power Flush Adapter allows cleanup using the garden hose
- Performance Rating: 0.31 gal/min
- Super easy to set up
- Convenient and fast clean up process
- Lightweight for a heavy-duty paint sprayer
- Easily portable
- 100 ft. hose allows easy painting for multiple story houses
- Stainless steel construction provides a good lifespan
- Overspray can be difficult to control sometime
- Can be heavy to move sometimes
This paint sprayer has proven to provide professional results when it comes to painting walls. It is perfect for both interior as well as exterior walls. It can be easily operated by handymen, DIY-ers and even beginners.
4. Best Entry-level Paint Sprayer for Walls - REXBETI Ultimate-750 Review
REXBETI Ultimate-750 is a very popular paint sprayer among our team members. It is, in fact, a very professional tool which is useful for entry-level users as well.
Its powerful 500-watt motor provides a fine paint mist that settles smoothly on the surface. In addition to this, it comes with three spray patterns: horizontal, vertical and circular. Also, its high capacity paint cup makes it one of our favorites.
With this, it includes three different nozzles to spray thin paints as well as thicker paints such as varnishes, chalk and milk type paint.
Features of REXBETI Ultimate-750
- High power motor of 500 watts
- Provides three spray orientations: Horizontal, vertical, circular
- Includes three size nozzles: 2.0 mm, 2.5 mm, 3.00 mm
- Adjustable flow knob enables the user to determine suitable flow for various surfaces, corners, and edges
- 6.6 ft. long power cord
- Super easy to clean up
- Long power cord makes moving around easy
- User-friendly, and assembles and disassembles easily
- Brass nozzle and strongly built body
- May not be suitable for outdoor walls
This paint sprayer is for you if you are a beginner with no experience at all. Easy setup and hassle-free clean up make this product very easy to work with.
5. Ideal Paint Sprayer for DIY-ers - HomeRight C800971 Super Finish Max Review
This paint sprayer is our team’s favorite because of its small size, lightweight, and its ability to work without a compressor.
Yes. that is right: This paint sprayer is one compact, self-contained unit that does not require a compressor. In addition, it features 450 watts of power, which means less to no thinning. This paint sprayer is said to handle thicker materials as well.
Another feature that makes it stand out is its ability to paint walls being an HVLP paint sprayer. This paint sprayer is also equipped to tackle bigger projects as well, which is outside of the HVLP character.
Features of HomeRight C800971 Super Finish Max
- Comes with 450 watts turbine motor
- 6 available spray tips, with 3 included ranging from furniture and woodworking projects to wall and deck painting
- Includes 39 fluid ounce container
- Flow control knob enables the painter to determine the amount of paint dispensed
- Spray patterns from 1 to 12 inches
- Lightweight and portable
- High capacity container eliminates the requirement of refill
- No thinning required
- Easy to operate, specially designed for impatient users
- Easy to clean up
- Cannot be used to paint ceilings, because the material may flow into the motor, and cease it to work
This paint sprayer is no less than an all-rounder. You can use it to paint small projects such as furniture, to larger projects such as decks, fences, walls, etc.
6. Best Material-Friendly Paint Sprayer for Walls - Wagner 0518080 Review
This HVLP paint sprayer comes with a two-stage turbine. We love it because it allows spraying of latex and other thicker material on to surfaces such as walls, fences, etc.
This paint sprayer promises the high-quality of the Wagner brand. Its Lock-n-Go technology which makes material change swift and easy.
It is lightweight, yet powerful and sets up easily. It is perfect for all kinds of jobs, including, priming, and painting a wide range of projects.
Features of Wagner 0518080
- HVLP paint sprayer with a two-stage turbine
- Comes with two paint cups: a 1-quart metal and a 1.5-quart plastic cup
- Includes a 20 ft. hose
- Three spray patterns: Horizontal, vertical, diagonal
- Features variable pressure control from 1.50 psi to 2.63 psig
- Versatile regarding painting materials
- Easy to maneuver
- Painless cleaning process makes switching materials easy, thanks to Lock-n-Go technology
- Very little overspray
- Multiple patterns supported
- Motor may be noisy
- Power cord is not very long
It is a small and lightweight device that can be used by weekend warriors, professionals and DIY-ers alike. This will be a great addition to your toolkit as it can be used for intricate work as well as bigger projects.
7. Easy-to-Use Paint Sprayer for Walls - HomeRight C800766 Finish Max Review
This paint sprayer was loved by us because it is the perfect choice for household purposes. Its easy maneuvering eliminates the chances of calling in a professional or a handyman even for minor tasks around the house.
The light weight of this paint sprayer lets you go about painting for a while, without any fatigue. In addition, it is very easy to assemble because of fewer parts. This not only makes it one of the best choices for beginners but also makes cleaning up easy.
The flow control knob allows you to determine the amount of paint dispensed. Its location, on the trigger, makes this paint sprayer quite user-friendly.
Features of HomeRight C800766 Finish Max
- HVLP paint sprayer with a 400-watt power motor
- The flow control knob enables the user to determine paint flow
- 2 mm Brass tip and nozzle perform better than plastic parts, with enhanced quality against wear-off.
- Three spray patterns: Horizontal, vertical, and round
- 27-ounce container eliminates the need for refilling
- Easy to maneuver
- Affordable and good value for money
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to maintain and store
- May clog
- Excessive thinning of material may be required
- This may not support latex
This paint sprayer is one of the best entry-level home tools. You can easily handle it while performing any job. This means it is perfect for home users who may not have any previous experience.
8. Best Handheld Paint Sprayer for Walls - PaintWIZ PW25150 Review
Next up we have a handheld paint sprayer that is perfect for home jobs, from indoor to outdoor. This runs on a 400-watt motor. It includes a paint cup, additional nozzles, a cleaning brush, paint filters, and a viscosity cup.
This paint sprayer can perform a wide variety of jobs. You can use it to paint your furniture to your walls, any surface that you desire. However, you may have to thin the materials.
Features of PaintWIZ PW25150
- Dimensions: 11 inches x 5.5 inches x 13.6 inches
- Weight: 4.25 pounds
- HVLP paint sprayer with a 400 watts motor to run on
- Three paint patterns: Horizontal, vertical, circular
- Includes 1.3 L paint container
- Portable and lightweight
- Comfortable to use
- Versatile in paint patterns
- Low overspray
- Small size and handheld type makes it perfect to reach corners
- The spray may not be perfectly fine
If you want the freedom to move about without having to worry about wires, then this product is for you. Using this tool you can handle many indoor as well as outdoor jobs. It will prove to be a useful addition to your household tools.
9. Best Paint Sprayer for Walls with Professional Results - Graco Magnum 257025 Review
This paint sprayer allows you to paint directly from the bucket. Although it sprays directly from the bucket, it still has a compact design to allow easy movement.
We found it ideal for painting large surfaces, especially walls. Our team likes it not only because of its professional results but also because of its ability to paint unthinned material.
Another amazing feature is its Reverse-A-Clean tip, which is the signature of Graco models. It allows unclogging in one swift move and does not drag you to the whole process of clearing the tip.
Features of Graco Magnum 257025
- Stainless steel piston pump allows spraying directly from 1-gallon or 5-gallon bucket
- Adjustable Pressure allows you to have full control over the flow of material
- Power Flush Adapter enables simple and quick clean up
- ⅜ hp motor with a performance rating of 0.27 gal/min
- Includes a 50 ft. hose and can withstand a maximum pressure of 2800 psi, and SG2 metal spray gun
- Can be easily cleaned up using a regular garden hose
- Hassle-free unclogging
- Onboard storage makes it easy to carry around
- Longer hose allows one to paint hard-to-reach areas
- Can use unthinned materials
- Does not have any mechanism to carry paint bucket around
- Slight overspray
This paint sprayer is an exceptional DIY tool with extremely professional results. This paint sprayer is for you if you are a perfectionist and want an all-rounder tool.
10. Best Value for Price Paint Sprayer for Walls - HomeRight Power Flo Pro 2800 Review
The final paint sprayer we have is an airless type with ½ hp sturdy motor that delivers unthinned paint at 2800 psi without any struggle. In addition to this, it comes with a reversible tip to unclog it immediately.
It also includes a 25 ft. hose to let you reach corners and hard areas. This paint sprayer can be used to tackle any big painting projects such as decks, walls, fences, etc.
Features of HomeRight Flo Pro 2800
- Airless paint sprayer with ½ hp motor and delivers 2800 psi pressure
- Includes chrome-plated spray gun with mesh filters installed
- Features 515 reversible tip and tip guard
- 25 ft. hose included
- Can spray 0.24 gal/min
- Control knob, located close to the trigger, lets to attain perfect pressure for a fine finish
- Easy to carry around, thanks to built-in handle
- Versatile regarding the type of material used
- Very easy to clean up
- Well-built and durable
- Affordable for an airless paint sprayer
- Not ideal for smaller projects
If you need a paint sprayer exclusively for outdoor large-scale projects, then this tool is for you. We have found this paint sprayer helpful when using moderately thick materials for bigger jobs such as painting home exteriors, garages, decks, etc.
Types of Paint Sprayers
Airless Paint Sprayer
An Airless paint sprayer uses a very high pressure to form tiny droplets of the paint. These atomized paint particles are then pushed out of the nozzle to form a mist. The mist is fairly uniform and forms a smooth coat of material over the surface.
An airless paint sprayer produces large volumes of atomized material and is, therefore, more commonly used for bigger projects, such as walls both interior and exterior.
HVLP Paint Sprayer
HVLP stands for “High Volume Low Pressure”. It is the opposite of an airless paint sprayer. Although it also produces large volumes of paint mist, to achieve that it uses low pressure.
HVLP is not a quick system, but rather a slow one as compared to an airless one. This is the reason it is more suitable for precision work such as painting furniture, cabinets, etc.
Compressed Air Paint Sprayer
As the name suggests, this type of paint sprayer uses a spray gun and an air compressor to function. These are somewhat outdated. An HVLP or airless paint sprayers are preferred over this.
Pressure Adjustability in Paint Sprayers
Pressure adjustability is a key feature in HVLP paint sprayers. However, it is not available in airless paint sprayers, rather different tips are used. Pressure adjustability does not only affect the speed of the paint dispensed but also the thickness and the patterns. This feature allows you to work on a wide range of projects.
There are certain safety measures that should be taken when preparing for painting with a paint sprayer. These are as follows:
- Wear pants and full-sleeved clothes or overalls while painting to prevent any paint mist from getting on you. The material can cause an allergic reaction to the skin.
- Wear protective goggles to prevent any paint particles from getting into your eyes.
- The use of a respirator is advised. Otherwise, you must wear a mask.
- Make sure that your working site is well ventilated so the paint vapors do not saturate the place.
Do I need any additional accessories with my paint sprayer?
You may require a few additional accessories for a better paint job:
- Filters eliminate the chances of clogging. This is in fact very important if you want to achieve a factory-like smooth finish.
- Tips: Keeping a variety of tips is always a good idea. These help you attain your desired result depending upon the choice of your spray pattern and the type of material.
- Extensions are always a good idea. These allow you to move around and be flexible around the work without worrying about pulling onto the cord or hose.
Gravity Feed vs Bottom Feed vs Hose Mechanism
In a gravity feed paint sprayer, the paint canister rests atop the paint sprayer. As the name implies, the paint is fed into the sprayer due to gravity, this eliminates the requirement of any additional mechanism to pressurize the air.
In a bottom feed paint sprayer, paint is fed into the sprayer from the can attached below it. This paint sprayer requires additional machines such as an air compressor to pressurize the air.
In this type of paint sprayer, a hose is used instead of a cup. The suction hose if directly put into a 1-gallon or 5-gallon paint bucket, thus eliminates the requirement of a paint canister. It is used for bigger projects, where refilling can be frustrating, such as painting external walls.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of paint sprayer is the best for painting walls?
Painting walls is a large-scale endeavor, may it be internal walls or your home’s exterior. An Airless Paint sprayer is considered the best for painting walls because they paint large spaces very quickly. An HVLP paint sprayer can be used to paint interior walls.
Is dilution of paint necessary?
Yes, diluting or thinning your material is vital. Some heavy-duty paint sprayers can dispense material in unthinned form. However, dilution of material is important to achieve a well-distributed thin mist of paint.
Does diluting the paint change its shade?
Dilution of paint does not necessarily change the shade or color of your paint but it does make the material cover less of the surface. To achieve the desired look, you will have to paint multiple coats.
How much thinner should I use to dilute my paint?
It is usually recommended that the ratio of paint to thinner should be 4 to 1 or 3 to 1. We highly suggest that you use small amounts of thinner at a time. It is advised that you consult paint labels for the manufacturer’s recommended paint to thinner ratio.
What causes spray guns to spit?
Air guns spit when air mixes with the fluid outside of the air cap. There are many reasons that this might happen for instance: Loose nozzle, unsuitable or clogged air cap, low pressure (for pressure guns), high fluid viscosity, or clogged fluid passage.
How do I clean the walls before painting?
While there is no specified way of cleaning the walls perfectly we prefer that you wash them down. It is advised that you use a sponge and warm water to wash the walls. For surfaces prone to oil and grease exposure, such as in the kitchen, use water and grease dissolving detergent to wash down the walls.
How important is it to clean your paint sprayer?
You are not required to clean the paint sprayer while taking a break in between your job. However, it should not be left unclean overnight. This will prevent the paint from curing in the pump.
Why is it important to clean the paint sprayer regularly?
It is highly advised that you invest time in thoroughly cleaning your paint sprayer after using it. Regularly cleaning it increases the life of your paint sprayer and does not hamper its efficiency.
What do I use to clean my paint sprayer?
For cleaning out water-based material, use water, and for cleaning out any oil-based material use mineral spirits.
What are the main reasons for the clogging of paint sprayers?
The main reason for clogging or plugging of the paint tip is solid particles in the paint. Thinning the material does not get rid of the solid particles. Therefore, we advise you to strain the paint, flush the paint sprayer clean and use clean filters after priming the sprayer well.
Our clear winner of the round-up is Graco Magnum 262800 X5. This paint sprayer landed the top position not only because of its sturdy stainless steel built but also because of its heavy-duty application. The stainless steel pump and metal spray gun make it very durable and long-lasting.
The Push Primer technology makes priming a piece of cake and the Power Flush adapter makes the cleaning up process effortless.
This airless paint sprayer directly sprays from the bucket which makes it ideal for painting walls. With this, it comes with a 25 ft. hose and also a 75 ft. hose to reach corners and difficult areas of the job. With such amazing features, there is no doubt that this paint sprayer is our absolute favorite.